Friday, May 4, 2007

Autographs anyone?


That's right. I was in the New York Times. Ok, so maybe my name isn't in the paper and maybe I was out shined by the fabulous Gina,Mimi, and Lawre but the side of my head looks damn good! My knitting prowess is in fine form too.
The square I'm knitting in the photo is an intarsia masterpiece. It's a Canadian maple leaf for my French professor Mme. Couture- Nowak. I'm currently working on a square with a lacrosse stick and ball for Kevin Granata, a fellow lacrosse coach. Hopefully, I can get started in the next couple of days on a square for Stack who I marched with in the Marching Virginians. I'm thinking of doing a band hat with a plume.
If your one of the two knitters left on the planet who have not heard about Hokie Healing, here's the deal: squares must be 8 inches by 8 inches (so it's a good idea to make them a bit smaller and block them out to size), they must be maroon, orange, white, or black (absolutely any shade of orange and maroon, that's right any shade!), any stitch can be used so go wild or not whatever you want, send them to Mosaic by the end of May. So many people are worried about the shade of color, but what they don't realize is that the beauty in these blankets (at least to me) is that they are all a bit different. The idea is that people are uniting from all over the US to make a sort of memorial to those we lost, so be unique and do something different. Thanks to everyone for helping!
Sorry that I've been MIA for so long, just trying to get myself together and regroup. Those of you that don't know I'm starting a new job in a couple weeks. I have thrown my Biology degree out the window (well maybe I'm just locking it in the closet for a rainy day) and am going to venture in to the all too enticing world of yarn. Ha ha ha. I'm a yarn rep! I've spent the last couple of weeks feverishly knitting samples. I've already discovered that it doesn't really matter what your work is or how awesome it is, you still want to be doing something else. For know I'm spending a lot of time knitting samples and longingly staring at a lace shawl, 2 new pairs of socks, qiviut scarf, and so many other projects that I should not be doing now! I love the yarn and projects that I'm repping for I just have knitting ADD, ahh don't we all....focus, Loren, focus

10 comments:

Bel said...

Welcome back! Looks like we both took the plunge tonight!

You look great in the photo...be happy! And it's really nice to see the thoughtful work you're putting into each square. It will make it so meaningful. See you next week!

jody said...

How fun! I was in the shop that day when Gina was FORCING you to call that person about the yarn rep stuff and making you be all aggressive about the job-looks like it paid off-yay for you! Does that mean you get free yarn?? that would be SUPER BONUS!! I like the maple leaf, btw!! I love how you are personalizing the squares-that's very thoughtful. I may try to come up with something for a few of the folks we knew-great idea, Loren!!

Vouray said...

Finally! A blog entry! i almost kicked you off my "heavy rotation" list! Glad you are back!

Miranda said...

Awh, you're making a square for Kevin too? My boyfriend knew him through NRVLC. Glad you're back!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back. I will try to do an entry this weekend. I haven't had time with all the "square knitting". Haven't touched any of my projects in so long, I forgot what I was doing. We have all been touched by this tragedy. I'm sorry you lost so many you cared about - I'm sorry anybody was lost - but you know what I mean.

Anonymous said...

Finally another blogpost... Guess what Loren, I knit 2 squares all by myself, and surprisingly enough, they did NOT turn out to look more like triangles this time...yay!
P.S. Your hair looks good in that picture.

LauraRN said...

Well, you were duly noted in my blog.

I love the ideas you have that are special for the people you know. And the best of luck in your yarny future!!!

(and happy graduation!!!)

Nan said...

I am on my 3rd square, this one is a basketweave pattern...nothing too fancy...and it does help to knit them...hope/healing/peace to everyone.
I attended the Sheep and Wool Festival on Saturday...way too much fun. I actually saw 2 women fighting over "Socks that Rock" yarn; other than those 2, it was a peaceful crowd!

Nan said...

Forgot to tell you, i love your Meez..very cute t-shirt, and love the orange yarn.

Anonymous said...

Since this is the only way I can get a hold of you, when are you coming home?, I've got some awesome hikes planned for us...bring your ocarina and i'll bring my best singing voice...let me know...